Friday, November 12, 2010

Brunelleschi's Legacy

  One rainy day when i got home from my usual school day. I saw my mother sitting quietly. I asked her "hey mom what's cooki'n?." She mistakenly thought of it as some sort of household chores and replied " Oh dear i haven't cook anything yet." I just frowned and went to bed to sulk. Why mothers too old not to get those simple pick-up lines?. After an hour of sleep i went to the kitchen hoping to find some "real food" to eat. to my surprise, my mother is still in the corner but this time instead of staring at the blank wall she sobs on her hanky."Mom, what's wrong?" I asked. Upon hearing my voice she cried hard enough to let the whole town heard her whining."Benjamin," she said. I felt shiver in my guts usually when my mom calls me on my full name it means danger or lay-on-your-belly-with-your-butt-raised-high."hey i know school is rough this days, but i'll promise i get better in exams so you don't need to worry." She just smiled and sniffed." I have to go, can you come with me?". now I'm totally confused "Err sure mom, whatever you say".
  So off we went to the unknown in the unholy hour of the night. we took turns a few lefts and half rights then straight towards hell, I mean hospital. "Mom what are we doing here? are you sick or something?"This time she just stay silent. We entered the Hospital and asked for a direction i just thought we would visit some sick folks or my mom's medical check-up and annual medication. we go down to level below the reception area and entered the dark and cold room called Morgue.
This time my mom begins to asked irritating questions. "Benjamin" ( please mom not in this spooky room. I wont show my butt with the deceased.) "How well do you know your father?" I smirked "huh, do i have one? never met him or never cared to meet him." I lied. My mom asked the nurse in charge and asked for a name. " "Mr. But'tole please." the nurse look at my mother suspiciously."Sorry only relatives are allowed to enter". "I'm his err Wife and this little boy ( i get it mom i little but im not a boy) is his child." she insisted. The nurse made a convincing look " Come in, box no 255 I'll let my assistant accompanied you."
"Benjamin" (mom its the third time) Fifteen years ago I have a friend who saved me from a heart broken relationship. He was Gay yet he stood more than any other man could ever done. He was my bestfriend, my brother and my husband".(mom i already knew that). She stop as the assistant went to pull the large drawer with a sign Box 255 I've noticed that the room is cold like a giant freezer. cool with eerie ambiance i wonder if their airconditioned facilities would fit in my room. My mom continued to narrate their love story "We got drunk and we cursed the heavens for letting us be "the neglected child" of God He was broke and got fired on his job while i was recuperating from the abused made by my my own uncle, I dont know how it happened but we made out that night. And then the inevitable tragedy happened. One night i was assaulted again by my demon relative I cried so hard and try to fight back while He's abusing me. i grasped something in the dark and smashed it on his head. that Devil stopped and fall on my knees. I ran as fast as i could i dont care if i had been half naked in the street, i just want to go as far as i could to hide and to disappear. I called  your father to ask for help and Bruno came to comfort me. Later that day, the police are after me for my crime they found out that my uncle was dead. and on the crime scene they've found out the picture of Bruno on the floor. Your father gave it to me when we had our usual hang-outs. it must have been fell off my pouch when that monster assaulted me." My mom stop for a while to wipe his teary eyes. before he continue. Then Bruno told me to hide he gave me his savings to go back to the province and He'll fixed everything. I did what he instructed me but I didnt know what plans he had in mind. Soon I become pregnant at you.I was confused if  the child I'm bearing was the fruit of that Devil  or that to him, the kindest person I've ever met. I was tempted to go with an abortion, but i opted to raised the child (wait mom, was i an option?). and when you were born, ( yeah that part i knew well -in the comfort of the toilet bowl) I knew that you were His son (ah huh, whose child I am?) you had the same lips and cheeky face you were Bruno's son ( Oh well i guessed I'd settle to be the Son of Misfortune rather than called as the Son of the Devil)."
"So I went back to the city to look for your father it was then that i learned that he was in Prison. Apparently He admitted the crime that I have done, he just confessed false accusations as his motives to kill him. He was sentenced for a lifetime imprisonment and later pardoned as the review of his case found him innocent.I always visited him and even bring you along. He cried the first time he saw you. He hugged you tight, and kissed you everywhere ( oh no! Mom, dont tell me he even  kissed my "bee" part) but when you turned 5 years old he told me that it is best if I didnt bring you there. He just want the best for you, He doesnt want you to grow up and get bullied that your father was a Gay, a murderer, a Criminal. He doesnt want to be hated most specially by you. Neither did he cant stand that you'll be hated because of him. He wished that I would tell you the truth when he was dead so that he wont see your disappointment towards his misfortune. that is why Benjamin I beg you,  the man inside that box is waiting for you and longing for your love, just a touch on his remains is all he wanted from you." my Mom turned away from me, and talked with the mortician.
I walk towards the cadaver,it was made in stainless steel and  it was colder than ice. I noticed the number on the cadaver front box 255 if I would transposed it to a alphabetical letters, it would be read as B-E-E. I looked closely to the deceased he was about on his early fifty years and still have false eyelashes. then I've noticed on his chest closed to his heart a tattoo of a bug. in stripes and sting below with a wide smiling lips and big teeth. and i was amazed at what a happy Bee it was. Then slowly i extend my arm towards the tattoo and touched it. my hands shivered as i begin to sniff and hot tears rolled into my eyes. I' bowed down touch his pale face and wept as hard as i could, harder than my mom louder than the rage of the pouring rain. My mom touched my back and pulled me out she said it's time to go. She touched my father and made a final kiss on his cheek and whisper in his ear "thank you" then we went out of the room, I made a  last turned before the embalmer cut that beloved body into two for the embalming process.
We walk directly outside the hospital towards the streets. As we journey yet again to another building where the a tower is in front. The sound of a lonely voice of the bell is inviting us to come over."Benjamin" she said " can you come with me inside?" that was the first time I ever heard my mother's sweet voice calling my name. For the first time i didn't feel the panic on my guts and I never bother to show off my butt. I took her hand, hold it tight as i say to my mom " lets go Mom and let us pray for father's journey back home".

No comments:

Post a Comment